Well we've done it. Solar panels. We went to Crick Show and came away with two panels of 175 watts each. We then took Bella to Braunston to have the panels secured to the roof. Next, Pete did the interior wiring, getting two chuncky wires the whole inside length of Bella, underneath all the ceiling panels. This was needed as (of course) the panels are at one end and all the electricity connections the other.
Today, we pulled out of our mooring to Norton Junction where we nestled in next to Petra, a CRT dredger. Our fabulous electrician came to meet us to make the final connections at each end. Goodness. Within a few minutes of the final connection, our batteries were charged up to 100%. This will be amazing.
In the past when out of our home mooring, the engine had to run 2-3 hours a day to keep the batteries on charge. Therefore £2-£3 a day and diesel 'wasted'. Not any more! Wow.